Return to Crime Victims

U Visa – Victims of Crime

Anyone who has been a victim of a crime knows how frightening it is. There are a class of people living in the United States for whom it is particularly difficult, and that is undocumented aliens. If you are an undocumented alien and you have been the victim of a crime, you may be able to apply for a U visa .  A U Visa will allow you to stay in the United States with a non-immigrant status for up to four years.

In order to begin the process of applying for a U visa, you must make sure that you qualify. Specifically, victims must demonstrate that they have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of a qualifying crime under the Immigration and Nationality Act. Additionally, they must prove that they have been helpful during the investigation or prosecution of that particular crime. This can include making a police report, writing a statement, identifying a perpetrator, testifying in court, etc. Furthermore, the petition must be certified by a law enforcement official or prosecutor involved with the case before the case may be filed. You should contact an immigration attorney for a full list of crimes that allow one to apply for a U visa. Our office files a large amount of U Visa cases and we are happy to answer your questions to determine if you meet the qualifications.

If you are already in U Non-immigrant status and you have held this status for three years or more, our office can assist you in applying for adjustment of status for yourself and/or your beneficiary family members.

If your adjustment of status is granted you will become a lawful permenent resident or “green card” holder.