Return to Family Visas

Fiancé(e) Visas (K Visas)

If you wish to be married to someone who is not a US resident and would like to be married in the U.S., your fiancé(e) will need a K-1 visa.  The K-1 allows a foreign fiancé(e) to come to the U.S. for purposes of marriage, provided you and your fiancé(e) are married within ninety (90) days of the arrival of your fiancé(e) in the U.S.


The process begins by filing a fiancé(e) visa application with USCIS.  The petition will eventually arrive at the nearest embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) resides, at which point your fiancé(e) will be contacted for an interview.  During the interview, the interviewer will ask questions pertaining to the validity of the relationship, to determine whether or not such a relationship does in fact exist.  USCIS may also ask for other documentary evidence, like pictures of you and your fiancé(e), emails or other correspondence, or phone records showing that contact between the two of you has been maintained. If the application is approved, your fiancé(e) will be allowed to come to the United States so that you may marry.  This application process can be complicated.  There are many forms and document requirements.  It is highly recommended that you have the assistance of a qualified attorney when filing for this type of visa.