Return to Family Visas

Foreign Born Relatives

If you are a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you can petition USCIS to allow your foreign born family members to come to the United States.  Family members who qualify as immediate relatives do not have to wait for an available visa.  Immediate relatives include:  spouses of U.S. citizens, unmarried children of U.S. citizens under the age of 21, or parents of U.S. citizens (the U.S. citizen child who is applying must be over the age of 21).  Other approved family members may have to wait for an available visa number, after which they may apply for their immigrant visa.

Click here to find the most recent version of the visa bulletin:

If you would like to petition for a foreign-born family member, please contact our office for a consultation.  We would be happy to discuss the regulations and timing surrounding family-based petitions and which family members may qualify.